- Issued By: Lynthomas
- City / State: Port Vila
- Company Website: http://youmesupport.org/
- Submitted: October 30, 2010 4:02 am
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Port Vila, October 30, 2010:
The USS Bennington aircraft carrier unloaded a heap of live ammunition into a barge, which subsequently broke free during a storm. The barge overturned and drifted six miles to the Rockways area, New York, littering the muddy ocean floor with live ammunition along the way.
Assemblyman William Colton said “New York City authorities intend to dredge in Gravesend Bay, a mile south of the Bennington accident site, in order to build a waste transfer station”.
When a group of four commercial divers uncovered a horde of 50 year old ammunition these plans needed to be put on hold.
Hidden only in six metres of water the divers discovered the eight WW11-era copper artillery shells that were created to shoot down aircraft, plus around 1500 large caliber machine gun shells, designed to explode on contact.
One of the divers, Gene Ritter reported, “They’re all over the place. Hundreds of them.”
A Navy spokesman informed the divers to call the local authorities. The Navy renounced knowledge of the shells’ origins and would not remove them.
A totally unexpected danger from World War11 exists in the form of mementoes that have been kept by the now aging veterans of war.
More dangerous war memorabilia is being uncovered by unwary relatives of the deceased, totally uninformed of what they are looking at.
A woman came across an old grenade in her deceased father’s possessions. She threw it in the back of her car and after a few days decided to take it to a local fire station.
“She wasn’t really concerned about it, until we evacuated the parking lot,” said the deputy fire chief.
The Columbus Fire Division’s bomb squad evacuated an auction house in Newark several months later when a woman comes across some World War1 grenades and a World War11 mortar round.
Madison police officers responded to a call to check on the welfare of a man in his 80s who was living alone in a house on Madison’s east side. The officers located the man dead in a living room chair. A quick search of the room revealed a grenade with the pin intact on display on top of a cabinet. Following protocol, the officers rang the bomb squad to handle the retrieval and destruction of the grenade and a 155-millimeter artillery shell, as well as a bazooka shell.
As there are many more wars, such as Korea and Vietnam, authorities wonder just how much live ammunition is innocently tucked away in suburban homes.
For more information about “Live World War11 Ammunition Discovered, visit website http://www.tropicpost.com/passing-the-buck-on-world-war11-live-ammo/
Dr Wendy Stenberg-Tendys and her husband are CEO’s and founders of YouMe Support Foundation, providing high school education grants for children who are without hope. You can help in this really great project by taking a few minutes to check out the Sponsor a Student program at (http://youmesupport.org). It will change the life of some really needy kids in the South Pacific.
Feel free to contact Wendy on firstname.lastname@example.org
About YouMe Support Foundation:
YouMe Support Foundation is a non-profit charity, raising funds for non-repayable higher-education grants for geographically and financially disadvantaged children.
1575 total views, 1 so far today
- Christmas Mobile Deals starts on CheapMonthlyMobile.co.uk (10 views)
- iProperty.com India Hosting the Largest and Official Online Property Expo Organized by MCHI (10 views)
- Online ACH eCheck payments through www.accept-online-ach.com (8 views)
- 2010 Deep Research Report on China New Energy Vehicles - Aarkstore Enterprise (8 views)
- Stem Cell Therapeutics Markets (7 views)
- EYEWIDE Hotel Internet Marketing Services Launched the New Site of Your Memories Hotel in Gouves, Crete, Greece (7 views)
- Smartphones and Laptops as Popular as Tablet PCs, says Santa (6 views)
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. - Detailed Product Pipeline (6 views)
- 3C New Project launches in Sector 107 Noida @ Buniyad.com (5 views)
- HTC Desire HD Orange Deals: Buy this amazing handset with orange or any of your favorite network (5 views)