- Issued By: Correspondent
- City / State: Nevada, USA
- Submitted: November 1, 2010 7:33 pm
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nevada, USA, November 1, 2010:
(From Our Correspondent) Hindus have welcomed US President Barack Obama’s reported gesture of participating in Diwali celebrations with Mumbai schoolchildren during his upcoming India visit.
Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, while commending President Obama for his interest in India’s culture and traditions, urged him to declare August as “Indo-American Heritage Month” to celebrate and commemorate the extraordinary achievements of Americans of India origin. It would be an appropriate honor for the contributions made by many Americans who traced their heritage to India and who brought its vibrant culture to USA.
Rajan Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, also requested Obama to push for a Diwali stamp by United States Postal Service and adding Diwali to the holiday calendar of public schools nationwide. Diwali stamp was long overdue and it was important for Hindu families to celebrate Diwali day together at home with their children.
During this India trip, Obama is also reportedly scheduled to visit Mani Bhavan Gandhi Sangrahalaya in Mumbai (where Mahatma Gandhi stayed during 1917-1934 Mumbai trips). According to a White House statement on this visit: Gandhi is one that has inspired Americans, inspired African Americans, including Dr. King, and it’s very personally important to the President.
In Delhi, besides other events, Obama will reportedly visit Humayun’s Tomb (whose construction started in 1569 and cost 1.5 million Rupees), lay a wreath at Rajghat (where Mahatma Gandhi’s last rites were performed) “to pay respects to that huge historical figure in our history, as well as India’s”, and address the Parliament (supreme legislative body of India).
Largest of Hindu festivals, Diwali, the festival of lights, aims at dispelling the darkness and lighting up the lives and symbolizes the victory of good over evil. Hinduism, oldest and third largest religion of the world, has about one billion adherents and moksh (liberation) is its ultimate goal.
978 total views, 2 so far today
- BGS Global Hospitals Performs PINHOLE SPINE SURGERY on Osteoporosis Patient (334 views)
- Guru Shoe tech (P) Limited opened its first exclusive store in the city of Taj "Agra" (265 views)
- Danforth Center First World Food Day Commemoration Produced 355,000 Meals (246 views)
- Nokia X3 Red Deals: Talk with Passion (29 views)
- Easy Auscultation Releases Medical Education Course: Congenital Abnormalities (23 views)
- Socialized Free Classifieds - Change the way you post classified ads in social manner (21 views)
- How to match dresses up at the Christmas? (21 views)
- Cloud Computing World Forum Middle East and Africa Agenda Launched (21 views)
- Chloe Handbags Are Widely Acclaimed (20 views)
- MapleSim™ 4.5 Offers Modelica® Import Capabilities and an Enhanced Simulation Engine (18 views)