- Issued By: Correspondent
- City / State: Nevada, USA
- Submitted: November 1, 2010 7:33 pm
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nevada, USA, November 1, 2010:
(From Our Correspondent) Hindus have welcomed US President Barack Obama’s reported gesture of participating in Diwali celebrations with Mumbai schoolchildren during his upcoming India visit.
Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, while commending President Obama for his interest in India’s culture and traditions, urged him to declare August as “Indo-American Heritage Month” to celebrate and commemorate the extraordinary achievements of Americans of India origin. It would be an appropriate honor for the contributions made by many Americans who traced their heritage to India and who brought its vibrant culture to USA.
Rajan Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, also requested Obama to push for a Diwali stamp by United States Postal Service and adding Diwali to the holiday calendar of public schools nationwide. Diwali stamp was long overdue and it was important for Hindu families to celebrate Diwali day together at home with their children.
During this India trip, Obama is also reportedly scheduled to visit Mani Bhavan Gandhi Sangrahalaya in Mumbai (where Mahatma Gandhi stayed during 1917-1934 Mumbai trips). According to a White House statement on this visit: Gandhi is one that has inspired Americans, inspired African Americans, including Dr. King, and it’s very personally important to the President.
In Delhi, besides other events, Obama will reportedly visit Humayun’s Tomb (whose construction started in 1569 and cost 1.5 million Rupees), lay a wreath at Rajghat (where Mahatma Gandhi’s last rites were performed) “to pay respects to that huge historical figure in our history, as well as India’s”, and address the Parliament (supreme legislative body of India).
Largest of Hindu festivals, Diwali, the festival of lights, aims at dispelling the darkness and lighting up the lives and symbolizes the victory of good over evil. Hinduism, oldest and third largest religion of the world, has about one billion adherents and moksh (liberation) is its ultimate goal.
1431 total views, 1 so far today
- Intertech to Deliver Free Java Performance Monitoring & Tuning Webinar (3 views)
- HTC Wildfire Deals- Win FREE Wii Fit With Vodafone Contract Deals (2 views)
- Harshada Industries announces the launch of their New Business Website (2 views)
- HB Academics Los Angeles LSAT GMAT GRE MCAT SAT Prep Tutoring Enrollment for Winter Spring 2010-11 (2 views)
- Nigerian Telecom Industry Eyeing Sky Scraping Growth (2 views)
- Button Covers Size 24 Supplier www dot jewelryfindingwholesaler dot com is biggest professional DIY online market (2 views)
- Latest Motorola Phones: Get the classy handsets by Motorola family (2 views)
- HTC HD7 deals make your pocket a store of efficient facilities (2 views)
- HIVAidsTribe.com brings latest news updates on HIV Support (2 views)
- A Review of the Omnia 7 From Samsung (2 views)