- Issued By: Correspondent
- City / State: Nevada, USA
- Submitted: November 1, 2010 7:33 pm
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nevada, USA, November 1, 2010:
(From Our Correspondent) Hindus have welcomed US President Barack Obama’s reported gesture of participating in Diwali celebrations with Mumbai schoolchildren during his upcoming India visit.
Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, while commending President Obama for his interest in India’s culture and traditions, urged him to declare August as “Indo-American Heritage Month” to celebrate and commemorate the extraordinary achievements of Americans of India origin. It would be an appropriate honor for the contributions made by many Americans who traced their heritage to India and who brought its vibrant culture to USA.
Rajan Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, also requested Obama to push for a Diwali stamp by United States Postal Service and adding Diwali to the holiday calendar of public schools nationwide. Diwali stamp was long overdue and it was important for Hindu families to celebrate Diwali day together at home with their children.
During this India trip, Obama is also reportedly scheduled to visit Mani Bhavan Gandhi Sangrahalaya in Mumbai (where Mahatma Gandhi stayed during 1917-1934 Mumbai trips). According to a White House statement on this visit: Gandhi is one that has inspired Americans, inspired African Americans, including Dr. King, and it’s very personally important to the President.
In Delhi, besides other events, Obama will reportedly visit Humayun’s Tomb (whose construction started in 1569 and cost 1.5 million Rupees), lay a wreath at Rajghat (where Mahatma Gandhi’s last rites were performed) “to pay respects to that huge historical figure in our history, as well as India’s”, and address the Parliament (supreme legislative body of India).
Largest of Hindu festivals, Diwali, the festival of lights, aims at dispelling the darkness and lighting up the lives and symbolizes the victory of good over evil. Hinduism, oldest and third largest religion of the world, has about one billion adherents and moksh (liberation) is its ultimate goal.
834 total views, 1 so far today
- Light Up Your Life With Latest Blackberry Torch 9800 Deals (170 views)
- Sun Pharma Announces USFDA Approval for Generic Clarinex® (65 views)
- Easy Auscultation Releases Medical Education Course: Congenital Abnormalities (40 views)
- $1.34 Million Verdict Appealed, Oral Arguments Set For January 12, 2011 (26 views)
- INDIACSR Presents essay writing competition on the topic of Corporate Governance for students (23 views)
- Sakhr Software Introducing Johaina To Help You Stay Up-To-Date (23 views)
- QAI to Organize the 10th Annual STC, to Focus on Testing 3.0 – From Transaction to Transformation (16 views)
- House of Fraser Announces New Lipsy Collection by Pixie Lott (16 views)
- Find the Best iPod Touch Prices in CompareiPodPrices (15 views)
- Ayushi Moving to CMM LEVEL 3 Certification (14 views)